RASHMI FOR OXFORD SU PRESIDENT
ID: A headshot of Rashmi smiling at the camera
- Oxford SU MPLS-UG Divisional Rep
- Oxford Aviation Society Co-founder & Gen. Sec.
- Linacre College Women's Representative
- Student Council (India) Sabbatical Officer
This past year, Oxford students have been made to perform under unprecedented circumstances. COVID-19 has presented numerous barriers to student well-being & academic success. The Black Lives Matter movement has shined light on racial injustices and searing inequalities for members of the Black, Asian, & Minority Ethnic (BAME) community.
Despite its challenges, 2020 has also highlighted the many opportunities for improving student life at Oxford. I ask for your support in my campaign for Oxford Student Union President. Together, we can reform long-standing shortcomings at the university, provide students with the resources & support they need to thrive in Oxford and become leading changemakers in our society.
Decolonisation and Inclusivity
Being a BAME woman from a former British colony, Rashmi is empathetic towards the struggles faced by marginalised groups.
- Lobby the University & Conference of Colleges to remove all statues proven to be imperialist, including Christopher Codrington.
- Conduct a comprehensive consultation on decolonisation of syllabi to ensure Oxford course texts celebrate and educate Oxford students about the achievements of diverse scholarly voices.
- Tackle institutional homophobia and transphobia, first through conducting a university-wide consultation with the LGBTQ+ community.
COVID-19 Interventions for All
Spearheaded campaign to suspend Oxford's residency requirements for Hilary Term 2021.
- Push the conference of colleges to extend access to resources & events for graduating one-year Master’s Students.
- Lobby the university to waive residency requirements, extend safety net & mitigating circumstances until WHO declares end of pandemic.
Access to Quality Mental Health Resources
Part of a mental health task force for 12,000 undergraduates as a Sabb. Officer in India, where mental health remains a taboo.
- Lobby to increase funding for the mental health strategy, to ensure quality and professional access is available to students immediately.
- Work with counselling services to extend group counselling themes to include individual identities of gender, ethnicity & sexual orientation.
- Push for the university to inculcate diversity during recruitment of counsellors for better support.
Decarbonising the University
Currently reading for an MSc in Energy Systems with a focus on sustainability in Oxford.
- Lobby the Conference of Colleges to divest entire financial portfolio from fossil fuels as soon as possible.
- Work with MCRs and JCRs to push all colleges to sign on to a university-wide sustainability strategy.
Connect with Rashmi; Facebook: rashmidvs ; Instagram rashmi_in_oxford ; LinkedIn rashmi-samant
Designed by Sabrina Gao