The HCR notes that...
- Brasenose students have free access to the iffley university gym but not the pool.
- The cost of swimming membership is £95/year - The following 12 colleges currently have a swimming deal arranged: Christ Church, Exeter, Green Templeton, Harris Manchester, Jesus, Kellogg, Linacre, Lincoln, Magdelen, St. Cross,St. Hildas, University.
- The cost of a swimming deal is £95 per current swimming member, with an additional 20% cost to account for a subsequent rise in pool-usage by BNC swimmers.
- If BNC have 60 current swimming pool members, the cost of unlimited student membership of the pool per year would be £5700 + 20% = £6,840.
- To include Brasenose staff it will cost an additional £800.
The HCR believes that...
- Sports such as swimming have strong health benefits and should be inclusive. Students can only swim at iffley with a membership. The massive cost and puts students off, especially the causal swimmers who would not receive their money’s worth.
- The swimming deal would cost a significant amount of money, beyond the funds of the HCR.
The HCR resolves to...
- Speak to college and put forward a case for swimming pool membership.
Proposed by Christopher Parsons, seconded by Bradley Johnson and Thomas Fane.