OUEC was founded in 1927 by Edward 'Max' Nicholson, Colin Trapnell and Charles Elton. It was merged with the Oxford University Women's Exploration Club (founded by Henrietta Hutton) in 1965. It exists to help improve knowledge of our world through overseas exploration, as well as running a programme of talks and workshops during termtime to inspire and help with expedition planning. Expeditions vary from biological research to pure adventure: discovering new species of amphibians in the Andes, monitoring marine parks in the Moluccas, climbing unclimbed peaks in Greenland, and recording folk music in Tibet. Former notable club members include Wilfred Thesiger, Edward Shackleton and Alex Hibbert.