What do if I’m not happy with my exam result and feel my mark is unfair?

When you receive your exam results, hopefully you’ll be happy with the outcome and will get the results you wanted. But if you are dissatisfied with an aspect of the exam process, you may wish to make an appeal.


What is exactly an appeal?

The University Appeals Procedure is available to students who want to challenge an exam mark. You cannot challenge a mark on the grounds of academic judgment. In most cases, the appeal process must start within three months of the exam results being published. The Proctors Office administers the appeals process on behalf of the University.


What are the grounds for making an appeal?

You can lodge an appeal if you believe:

  • Procedures were not correctly followed in the examination such as invigilators did not adhere to the correct timing during examinations.
  • Your examination was not conducted fairly (for example, there was disruption during the examination)
  • Your examiners did not take account of previously notified special circumstances affecting your performance.
  • Something happened during the exam period that compromised your exam performance, for example you were ill or experienced bereavement. These are known as “extenuating circumstances”.


What grounds are excluded?

You cannot make an appeal about the academic judgment of the examiners.


Who do I appeal to?

The Proctors oversee the Appeals Process on behalf of the University.


What is the procedure?

What is the Appeal about? Contact What happens next? Not happy with the outcome?
Conduct of Examiners in college exams 'Collections' Your Senior Tutor Senior Tutor makes a decision Appeal to the Conference of Colleges Appeal Tribunal (CCAT)
Conduct of University Examiners (Undergraduate and Graduate taught courses) Your Senior Tutor Appeal to the Proctors Take the case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA)
Conduct of University Examiners (Graduate research degrees confirmation and transfer of status and Graduate Research final viva Your Director of Graduate Studies or Head of Division Appeal to the Proctors Take the case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA)
Alternative Exam Arrangements Your college academic office or the Disability Advisory Service Proctors make the final decision and notify college and the Chair of Examiners Appeal to the Chair of Education Committee within 14 days
Factors affecting Exam performance Your College Academic Office Appeal submitted online to the Exams Assessments Team Appeal to the Chair of Education Committee within 14 days

Procedures correct as of January 2016


What is the deadline for making an appeal?

The appeal process for extenuating circumstances must start before you receive your results. All other appeals must start within three months of receiving the exam results or decision.


Who can I talk to about my appeal?

Advisors will be happy to speak with you about the appeals process and whether this is the right decision for you.


How can the Student Advice help?

The Student Advice can: 

  • Explain the procedures
  • Help you to decide if an appeal is the correct course of action for you
  • Advise you on how to structure your appeal statement and concluding comments
  • Read and comment on draft statements
  • Accompany you to the Committee of Applications