Procedures for complaints vary but are outlined in your course and college handbooks. For informal complaints and feedback on your course, please see our section on representation, here. If you have cause for concern and want to make a formal complaint, the following information provides guidance on who to contact.


I’m an undergraduate. Who do I complain to about teaching, supervision or academic services?

Speak to your college tutor, Senior Tutor or Course Administrator.


I’m a postgraduate. Who can I contact to complain?

Speak to the Director of Graduate Studies or course administrator or, in college, your personal tutor or Senior Tutor.


Who do I complain to about college examinations?

Contact your Senior Tutor.


I have an issue about the Bodleian library facilities. Who can I contact?

You should raise the issue with the senior Librarian at the Library. If you feel that your concerns have not been addressed satisfactorily, you should write to: Bodleian's Librarian, Bodleian Library, Broad Street, Oxford, OX1 3BG


I’m an undergraduate who has formally complained, but was not happy with the outcome. What next?

Your complaints about teaching should have been made to your college via the senior tutor. If you are not satisfied with their response, you can appeal to the Conference of Colleges Appeals Tribunal (CCAT).


I’m a graduate who is unhappy with the results of my complaints. Who can I contact?

If you feel that your complaint has not been dealt with properly, you can make a complaint in writing to the Proctors. Your complaint should be specific and include:

  • Your name and address
  • Any relevant documentation
  • Relevant dates
  • Specific locations and witnesses if appropriate

You should also state:

  • Any previous attempts to informally resolve the situation
  • Details of how you would like the dispute to be resolved

When your complaint has reached the final stage, the Proctors office will issue a Completion of Procedures Letter. If you wish to take your complaint further, you may be able to bring a complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA).