Can I change my tutor?

It is relatively common for students to want to change their tutor. This can be for any number of reasons from a personality clash or a perceived lack of support by a tutor. To be successful, it’s best to make sure you have a good reason for asking to change.

The procedure for changing tutors varies considerably between colleges. If you would like to change your tutor, check your college handbook for any regulations. Some colleges specify in their regulations that students have the right to request a different tutor, and if this right exists in your college, you should simply follow the college procedure.

If not, you should talk to your pastoral/personal tutor and your senior tutor. You can request that someone from the Student Advice attends these meetings with you.

If you are concerned about this process, you may wish to consider speaking to an advisor at the Student Advice Service. 


Can I change my course?

In theory this is possible, but there are potential difficulties in practice. Chiefly, colleges need to match the numbers of undergraduates to the teaching resources available. Often the numbers will be large enough to allow a degree of flexibility, but this is not always the case. 

On changing course, your college will expect that you are good enough to have been admitted for that subject in open competition. The new course may also have admission requirements, such as certain subjects studied at school that you are likely to need.

In addition, your college will consider whether you have covered enough of the new subject by the time of the change to avoid having to start from the very beginning.

A change of subject can sometimes mean an extra year as an undergraduate, which will have financial and other implications.

If you are concerned about your course, you may wish to consider speaking to an Advisor at the Student Advice. 


Can I move college?

Moving college is known as ‘migration’ and is rare at Oxford. If you wish to change college you will need:

  • Written permission from your current college.  
  • A certificate from the Proctors saying that they have seen the above documents and know of no reason why you should not be allowed to change college.  
  • The Proctors will also ask for a letter from the Senior Tutor of the receiving or ‘new' college confirming that they are willing to accept you as a student.

Once these documents have been supplied, the Proctors will issue the certificate of migration. If you are concerned about your college, you may wish to consider speaking to an Advisor at the Student Advice.