Recent Student Advice FAQs  


My landlord is charging me rent while I’m not in the property.  

Student Advice are generalist advisors and as each tenancy agreement will contain different rights and responsibilities for tenants, we are signposting students for specialist housing advice. You can contact Shelter  here Shelter offer free and confidential advice to tenants.  

You could consult a housing solicit or for advice, but their advice is likely to carry a cost. Check the Find a Solicitor tab here It is important to check what costs will be associated with any work a legal firm offers. Some firms will offer an opinion free of charge on the merits of a case or give free initial advice. You can ask if this is a service offered by the individual firm you contact when you first approach them. 

 It is a good idea to have your tenancy agreement with you when you call. If you are able to screen shot the advice you are given on Shelter’s webchat, or ask for written confirmation of advice from a solicitor, this would be useful. Once you have received advice, if you need support with taking any next steps, we would be happy to try and help you. Please attach the screen shot or confirmation of advice to your email. 


I am unhappy about some part of the teaching and assessment plans for Trinity Term 

Speak to your College or Department in the first instance to talk through what you are concerned about. They will be in the best position to clarify anything. If you still have questions, let us know. The SU sabbatical team can lobby and campaign as well as collect evidence about how the changes are affecting students, 


I want to come back and live in College 

This isn’t possible at the moment because of the lockdown and government legislation surrounding the lockdown. Your College will be best placed to tell you the latest information they have about re-opening. If you have asked your College and have not had a response, let us know and we can check if we have any further information. 


I am thinking about suspending and don’t know how to start the process 

Suspension is a process agreed on an individual case by case basis between the student and their College or Department. The process usually starts with a conversation between the student and the Senior Tutor of the College, the Supervisor or in the case of post graduate students, the Tutor for Graduates but it is worth checking your College/course/project handbook for the suspension process relevant to you.The College/Department/Supervisor may want to know what your reasons for suspension are as well as what you might be doing with the time. Conditions for a student's suspension (such as access to College grounds and facilities, contact with academic staff etc) are usually agreed ahead of the suspension starting. It is important that you are happy with all the terms of your suspension and return before you agree as it may be hard to change these terms once they have been agreed. If you find you have any more queries once you have spoken to your Supervisor and College/Department, feel free to come back to us. It will be helpful for us to hear what information you have been given already, so please be clear on this in your email. 


I don’t feel safe where I am living/who I am living with. I’m worried about the impact this is having on my mental health. 

Please contact us today. 


I have a chance to do paid work remotely from home. Can I do online work from home as well as my studies? 

The University has specific rules around students doing paid work as well as their studies. The rules are different for Undergraduate and Post graduate students. It is important to check what the rules for your course and academic status are before agreeing to take on any paid work. You could look in your course or College handbook, check with your Department or Supervisor/Tutor or search online on the University websites. If you can’t find the information you are looking for, Student Advice would be happy to try and help you. 


I’m struggling with studying at home/online assessment. It feels lonely and isolating. I miss Oxford. 

Student Advice would be happy to hear from you and try and help to point you to some supportive resources. There is help available for you, you are not alone in finding things difficult. 


Does the safety net around final classification only apply to finalists? I am doing a piece of coursework which counts towards my final classification and am worried it will not be my best work because of the Covid- 19 situation. 

Contact Student Advice to talk through your specific situation. Generally speaking, it is only the final classification which is covered by the safety net. If you feel your assessed work may be affected by  the current context, you could consider whether an application for mitigating circumstances may apply to you and your particular situation. You can read more about mitigating circumstances  in the Covid-19 context here . Student Advice are happy to try and support you through the application process, by clarifying the stages and reading and commenting on your draft statement. 

Contact us