Many of your peers dedicate their time to improving the quality of your student experience. You will typic`ally be represented in your College by the JCR or MCR. Issues which affect the entirety of the student body are best handled by the Sabbatical Trustees (or ‘sabbs’). The two sabbs who sit on the committees which deal with academic matters are the VP for Access and Academic Affairs, and the VP for Graduates.


Helpful Definitions

  • A course representative (or course rep) is the term given to course and department level student representatives.
  • A Div Rep is a Divisional Representative. There are two divisional representatives in each division - one graduate, and once undergraduate. Their primary role is to attend the divisional board and support course reps.
  • A Sabbatical Trustee refers to one of the six Oxford SU trustees who have been elected by the student body the previous year.

What's a Course Rep?

Most course related issues will go through your course representatives.

You will be represented in your Department by the course representatives, a term for all academic reps at course and department level.

Your course rep will ordinarily be voted in before the end of Michaelmas, and will sit on a Joint Consultative Committee. You can find details of exactly what happens in your course handbook. This is especially worthwhile if you are an undergraduate student reading either History or Jurisprudence.


Course Handbook (Undergraduates)

Course Handbook (Graduates)

Course reps can get in touch with divisional reps if they wish to take an issue further or believe that an issue affects students beyond their course or department. The divisional rep can then raise this at the relevant divisional board.


What can I do as a course rep?

As a course rep you can help shape your course on key issues like curriculum. The changes you push for should be informed by your course-mates' views. For example, the NUS sustainability survey showed that a number of students wanted to learn about sustainability. As a course rep, you can speak to Oxford Climate Society or the VP Charities and Communities about how to introduce this into your curriculum. This is just one example - the power is with you!

I'm a Course Rep & I Need Help

Get in touch with Alice Churm, Policy &  Coordinator

Email Policy & Change Coordinator 

Download a Template Committee Paper


Represent Your Fellow Students in a Course or Department Level Committee?

The Divisional Reps can offer you support, guidance, and a route to air your problems at a senior level.

For a University with as many departments and faculties as Oxford, it’s important to break them down into groups which can then be organised. There are four such groups in Oxford, called ‘divisions’.


Social Sciences Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Medical Science Humanities 

Each of the four divisions has a divisional board, and on each divisional board sit two students (a graduate and an undergraduate). These boards help govern the departments and faculties, although careful arrangements are in place to preserve the autonomy of departments and faculties.

The students who sit on the divisional boards (‘Divisional Reps’) communicate both with student representatives for courses and departments, and the elected Oxford SU Sabbatical Officers.

You can either get in touch with the divisional reps directly, or email the Education Policy Coordinator with your message, which will be passed to the relevant student rep.


Email Education Policy Coordinator 


You can find the course rep hand book and download a template paper. Anyone is welcome to attend our training sessions, but they're aimed at students who represent other students on committees.

Course Rep Guide 

Download a Template Paper 

Training Sessions
Sorry - there are no events right now!

Oxford SU is The Leading Voice on Issues That Affect Students at Oxford

We represent the views of students to a number of national organisations with a stake in higher education policy in the UK and issues across the spectrum. On this page, you can browse all Oxford SU policy responses, including consultation responses, statements on policy proposals and briefings for MPs published in the past few years. It is divided by which area of our work it fits into best. If you have any questions please get in touch with our communications team

Email Communications 


Oxford SU's Annual Quality Report is a report taken to the University recommending a series of changes across the University to improve your experience of Oxford as a student.


Annual Quality Report 

A New Approach to Regulating Access & Participation in English Higher Education 

SU Access Participation Plan Targets Vision 


Oxford SU's response to the Government Equalities Office, Reform of the Gender Recognition Act 2018 consultation.

GRA Answeres 

Draft Responses

Currently no drafts!