Sabbatical Trustees

 

Kate Cole | PRESIDENT

| | |

 

Projects

Women in Sport (joint with VP Women & VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

10% Complete

Concentrating primarily on two areas; women and disability sport. Working in collaboration with the Oxford SU VP Women to bring This Girl Can to Oxford, lobby for equality in both the blues system and varsity matches, and establish better opportunities for women, and those with complex gender identities which include woman, to become involved in sport at Oxford. Working in collaboration with the Oxford SU VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities to create a long-term strategy to improve access to physical exercise at Oxford. Starting this year with an awareness raising event, the provision of links and funding opportunities for students with local disability sport teams, and an assessment of the accessibility of our sporting venues.


Student Housing (joint with VP Charity and Community)

5% Complete

Conducting research into the private rental market in Oxford and working in conjunction with Oxford Brookes to investigate ways to put pressure on local housing agencies to improve standards.


Lobbying to diversify assessment process(joint with VP Access and Academic Affairs & VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

0% Complete

This forms part of a longer project and conversation; it’s likely to not be completed this year. However, we will be working in various capacities to continue pushing this suggestion.


Oxford SU Outreach

10% Complete

We want to be an externally focused sabbatical team, who seek to actively reach out and engage with the students we represent. Whether that’s by attending Common Room events, by expanding our training package or by having a presence at important events in the student calendar, we’re aiming to be far more visible to the student body. Equally, we’ll be exploring links within the community to expand our partnerships with local organisations.


Structural Reform of Mental Health Service Provision

5% Complete

Looking at potential options for long-term structural change of student mental health support, such as by expanding and diversifying provision, establishing better links between our mental health services and research departments, and creating a long-term funding plan to counteract local authority cuts.


Estranged Students

20% Complete

Working closely with the NUS to bring the Estranged Students Solidarity Campaign to Oxford, and lobbying the university for better support in areas such as funding and accommodation, especially during the vacations.


Diversification of Assessment

5% Complete

Creating a long-term lobbying plan to adapt the system where an entire degree is examined at the end of the third year, certainly for those students with special requirements, and potentially more widespread depending on feedback from an all student consultation. In the meantime, looking at short-term improvements, such as timetabling of papers, availability of resit opportunities and variability of assessment method.


Student Housing (joint with VP Charity and Community)

5% Complete

Conducting research into the private rental market in Oxford and working in conjunction with Oxford Brookes to investigate ways to put pressure on local housing agencies to improve standards.


Suspension Policy Reform

0% Complete

Continue lobbying work done by SusCam in the areas of improving access rights and abolishing penal collections. Equally, working with JCRs and MCRs to produce a guide to how common rooms can fully support these students throughout their time away from their studies.

 
 
 

Student Council Mandates


University Committees

Council
Joint Subcommittee of the Education Committee with Student Members
General Purposes Committee (GPC)
Planning and Resource Allocation Committee (PRAC)
Information Technology (IT) Committee
Permanent Private Hall Supervisory Committee
University Sports Strategic Subcommittee
Education IT Board
Conference of Colleges
Domestic Bursars’ Committee
Estates Bursars’ Committee
ICT Steering Committee


Video Reports

 

 

 

Catherine Canning | VP ACCESS AND ACADEMIC AFFAIRS

| | |

 

Projects

Lobbying to diversify assessment processes (joint with President & VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

0% Complete

This forms part of a longer project and conversation; it’s likely to not be completed this year. However, we will be working in various capacities to continue pushing this suggestion.


Addressing the race attainment gap (joint with VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

5% Complete

Working with newly set-up university committees and relevant campaign (both locally and nationally) to develop strategies to better support students during their time as a student.


Enhancing study skills support for students (joint with VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

0% Complete

Working with various departments and individuals to find out what is necessary to ensure students feel able to contribute and participate fully. This may include working to further develop the MCR/JCR mentoring programmes. This is likely to not be completed in the year.


Support and training for Student Interview Helpers

0% Complete

Support and training for Student Interview Helpers – continuing work from last year we are developing resources Oxford SU produces to support student interview helpers. We are also working with the university to address the disparity in the conditions for interview helpers at different colleges.


Academic Support and Guidance project

0% Complete

I am working on collating resources for students regarding academic work/expectations and what they should expect from tutors. We was to empower students by directing them to resources they can rely on either for general information or to address issues that arise.


Access project

0% Complete

Working on collating all of the access and outreach opportunities that students can get involved in to increase communication. Offering information sessions for people wanting to return to schools in their area. Working on ways that the SU can acknowledge and celebrate the work of students who dedicate their time to access and outreach work.

Lobbying to diversify assessment processes (joint with President & VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

0% Complete

This forms part of a longer project and conversation; it’s likely to not be completed this year. However, we will be working in various capacities to continue pushing this suggestion.


Addressing the race attainment gap (joint with VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

10% Complete

Working with newly set-up university committees and relevant campaign (both locally and nationally) to develop strategies to better support students during their time as a student.
We've have been working closely with Brookes SU and the Equality and Diversity Unit at Oxford University. Due to the nature of this project it is long term and will continue past our time in office.


Enhancing study skills support for students (joint with VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

0% Complete

Working with various departments and individuals to find out what is necessary to ensure students feel able to contribute and participate fully. This may include working to further develop the MCR/JCR mentoring programmes. This is likely to not be completed in the year.


Support and training for Student Interview Helpers

100% Complete

Support and training for Student Interview Helpers – continuing work from last year we are developing resources Oxford SU produces to support student interview helpers. We are also working with the university to address the disparity in the conditions for interview helpers at different colleges.
We overhauled the Interview Helper Handbook and delivered training to Helpers at the end of MT17. WE also did a survey of colleges to see how they support and remunerate helpers so we now have useful data for people to campaign in their colleges. 1 more college has started paying their helpers and I am in discusions with another 2 to improve provisions. This has been approved by the Admissions Executive and is also being considered by Standing Committee of Senior Tutors Committee.


Academic Support and Guidance project

30% Complete

I am working on collating resources for students regarding academic work/expectations and what they should expect from tutors. We was to empower students by directing them to resources they can rely on either for general information or to address issues that arise.
We have started to collate all the information for this project. It will be focussing on the idea that "It's ok to ask for help" and to signpost and empower students to get the help they need for academic issues. We have been in discussions with Education Policy Support about embedding the Recommended Patterns of Teaching for all subjects to ensure students have a guide for their workload on their course.


Access project

65% Complete

Working on collating all of the access and outreach opportunities that students can get involved in to increase communication. Offering information sessions for people wanting to return to schools in their area. Working on ways that the SU can acknowledge and celebrate the work of students who dedicate their time to access and outreach work.
We have updated and revitalised the access section of the SU website signposting to the ways that students can get involved. I have been working with Access officers centrally and in colleges to deliver access events. We have started a recognition scheme for student helpers to thank them for their commitment to access and to encourage participation. Finally, we are in discussions about developing a training package and resources with central university for students who want to do outreach in their local area.

Access project

Working on collating all of the access and outreach opportunities that students can get involved in to increase communication. Offering information sessions for people wanting to return to schools in their area. Working on ways that the SU can acknowledge and celebrate the work of students who dedicate their time to access and outreach work.
We have updated and revitalised the access section of the SU website signposting to the ways that students can get involved. I have been working with Access officers centrally and in colleges to deliver access events. We have started a recognition scheme for student helpers to thank them for their commitment to access and to encourage participation. Finally, we are in discussions about developing a training package and resources with central university for students who want to do outreach in their local area.


Academic Support and Guidance project

I am working on collating resources for students regarding academic work/expectations and what they should expect from tutors. We was to empower students by directing them to resources they can rely on either for general information or to address issues that arise.
We have started to collate all the information for this project. It will be focussing on the idea that "It's ok to ask for help" and to signpost and empower students to get the help they need for academic issues. We will also be pushing this idea in the lead up to exams to ensure every student feels able to speak up and get they need during the stressful examination period. We have also been in discussions with Education Policy Support about embedding the Recommended Patterns of Teaching for all subjects to ensure students have a guide for their workload on their course.

 

Student Council Mandates

Class Act Campaign

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To mandate the VP Access and Academic Affairs to bring a motion to a future Student Council with a view to making Class Act an official liberation campaign following governance changes which should enable this or to ensure that any governance changes include Class Act as a liberation campaign.

That all participants at moots wear the same gown

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To mandate the Vice-President Access and Academic Affairs to petition the Law Faculty to change their policy on wearing gowns so all participants wear the same gown.
 
 

University Committees

Council
Education Committee (EdC)
Curators of the University Libraries
Joint Fees & Student Support Advisory Group
Student Attainment Gap Working Group
Quality Assurance Working Group (QAWG)
Museums Board
Quality Assurance Subcommittee
Taught Degrees Panel
Admissions Committee
Admissions Executive
Senior Tutors’ Committee (STC)


Video Reports

 

 

 

 

 

Tom Barringer | VP CHARITIES AND COMMUNITY

| | |

 

Projects

Student Housing (joint with President)

5% Complete

Conducting research into the private rental market in Oxford and working in conjunction with Oxford Brookes to investigate ways to put pressure on local housing agencies to improve standards.


Graduate Employment(joint with VP Graduates)

0% Complete

Continuing a project that Beth and Marina started, we will investigate ways, and work to make sure, that graduate students who work for the university in various different jobs are treated with respect and fairness by the university during their work.


Making Friends with the Oxford Hub

2% Complete

There are so many different ways to volunteer your time while at Oxford, so it makes sense that the different organisations who coordinate these cooperate to make student volunteering as easy as possible. I will explore new ways that the Oxford Hub and Oxford SU can work together to benefit the students that volunteer with us, and benefit the community at large. I am currently meeting with officers and staff at the Hub to work out the best way to do this.


Cycling

5% Complete

Student cycling is great! Bikes are an environmentally friendly way to get around the city, and they’ve been a part of Oxford for a long time. I want to make sure that every student cycles safely, and I want to make Oxford a safer place for student cyclists. I am currently talking to University departments about publicising free cycle training from Broken Spoke (sound good? You can sign up yourself here www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cycle-training-september-2017-tickets-37310805624).


#VeggiePledge2018

0% Complete

The Veggie Pledge – where students pledge to reduce their meat intake through November – is on its fourth year, and this time I want it to be bigger than ever. I aim to get 2,000 people pledged, with at least one from every college common room. I’ll also be supporting pledgers through November with recipes, goodies and deals on veggie and vegan food in Oxford! I haven’t started work on this yet.


Pledge2Reg

0% Complete

The Pledge2Reg last year (part of NUS’ nationally-coordinated GenerationVote) – the campaign to get students to register to vote ahead of the general election – was a huge success, and countless newspaper thinkpieces have since been written of the renewed power of the student vote. Let’s channel this energy into local elections, as well. Pledge2Reg 2018 will focus on getting students to register to vote in the Oxford City Council election. I haven’t started work on this yet.


Community Christmas

5% Complete

I will run Community Christmas again this year: a scheme which pairs Oxford students in Oxford over the Christmas break with local families to eat Christmas dinner together. Over the vacations, opportunities for Oxford students (whether grad, or international, or staying in Oxford for any other reason) to have fun and engage in student activities can become a bit sparse: so I’ll run a series of events to make sure the student community in Oxford doesn’t disappear when 9th week arrives. A board game afternoon run as a pilot scheme for this project went well: more events are being planned for the future!

 
 
 

Student Council Mandates

Student Cycling and the Claudia Charter

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To mandate the VP (Charities and Community) to sign the Claudia Charter on behalf of Oxford SU.

Free or Subsidised Mobile Mechanic for Oxford University Students

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To mandate the VP for Charities and Community to negotiate with the university to subsidise these costs for students in the same manner as they do for staff.
  2. To mandate the VP for Charities and Community to advertise this scheme to students looking for bicycle repairs and to promote cycling safety in terms of bicycle maintenance, and to ask the university to do the same.

Supporting the Zero Emission Zone

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To mandate the Vice-President (Charities and Community) to fill out the City Council ZEZ consultation form making clear that Oxford SU supports the ZEZ.
  2. To mandate the Vice-President Charities and Community to ask the City Council to make exemptions for students moving in and out at the beginning and end of term as part of the SU's consultation response.
  3. Mandate the Vice-President Charities and Community to assess whether the ZEZ is likely to disproportionately harm low income students, to consider whether anything can be done to remedy this, and to include this in the consultation response.

Selecting RAG Annual Charities

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To mandate the VP (Charities and Community) to produce an annual report upon the conclusion of the RAG charity selection process, explaining why particular charities were or were not shortlisted
 
 

University Committees

Joint Subcommittee of the Education Committee with Student Members
Committee for Development and Alumni Relations
Socially Responsible Investment Review Committee
Buildings and Estates Subcommittee
Property Management Subcommittee
Sustainability Steering Group
Clubs Committee
Committee for the Proctors Office
Rules Committee


Video Reports

 

 

 

 

 

Marianne Melsen | VP GRADUATES

| | |

 

Projects

Graduate Employment(joint with VP Charity and Communities)

0% Complete

Continuing a project that Beth and Marina started, we will investigate ways, and work to make sure, that graduate students who work for the university in various different jobs are treated with respect and fairness by the university during their work.


Understanding the impact of Brexit on students

0% Complete

The aim of this project is to enable the university to understand the students’ needs in the light of Brexit. At the moment, I’m talking to relevant stakeholders (students and key university staff) to understand what data is already available and how my project can be of value to the university.


Sharing good ideas in colleges and departments

0% Complete

The purpose of this project is to recognise and celebrate some of all the great things that colleges and departments are doing for their students, and thereby, inspire colleges and departments to seek inspiration from each other when they try to improve their offerings for students. At the moment, I’m working on the terms of reference for the project.


Access and funding for postgrads

0% Complete

This project aims to increase the understanding of how socio-economic background, home country, circumstances in life (e.g. having children) and funding opportunities affect students’ ability to study at Oxford. I’ve currently not started this project, and only plan to do so towards the end of MT18.

 
 
 

Student Council Mandates

International Students and Visas

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To mandate Oxford SU officers, in particular the Vice-President (Graduates) to ensure the University continues to offer international students with the advice and assistance they need, both when applying and when on-course. To mandate Oxford SU officers to lobby the Government (including by working with other bodies) to remove excessive visa restrictions and charges for international students, and to make it easier for international students to stay in the UK to work or study after their course.

International Freshers

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To support a campaign to allow international freshers at all colleges to arrive several days before UK freshers (and several days before Sunday 0th week) if they want or need to; for colleges to be more flexible in departure and arrival dates before/after vacations; and for the collegiate University to provide more storage for particularly international students.
  2. To mandate the Vice-President (Graduates) to raise this issue with Common Rooms, to see the extent of the problem, and to encourage Common Rooms in colleges where this is a problem to pass a similar motion to this one.
  3. To encourage colleges and the university to hold events for international freshers in -1st week (rather than 0th week) to help them get to know each other, to walk them through specific tasks such as setting up a bank account and to offer advice/workshops on international-welfare related issues such as culture shock.
  4. To mandate the Vice-President (Graduates) and other relevant Sabbatical Officers to campaign within committees for such a change.

Grads who Work Work Work Work Work

Student Council Believes:

  1. 1. That opportunities to work are extremely valuable to students, as they provide the chance to gain experience, receive training, and build skills that are necessary for career progression.
  2. 1. That students deserve certain minimum standards in any work they undertake within the collegiate University.
  3. That the increasing casualisation of the Higher Education sector adversely affects early career academics and graduate students, and also has equality implications.
  4. That students should not be seen as cheap labour.
  5. That work opportunities should be clearly and fairly advertised and allocated.
  6. That relevant training should be part of the work undertaken (and in particular for those in student-facing roles, training in unconscious bias cultural awareness, and welfare).
  7. 1. That anyone who undertakes work for the collegiate University should receive clear guidance in advance of commencing, particularly around expected responsibilities, working conditions and hours, and pay (including logistics of payment).
  8. That Oxford SU should be in close contact with the Universities & Colleges Union (UCU) about this stream of work.

Student Council Resolves:

  1. 1. To mandate the Vice-Presidents (Graduates) and (Charities & Community) to lobby the collegiate University to improve the working conditions of graduate students who work, particularly following the principles set out in Believes 1-8.

International Freshers

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To mandate the Vice-President (Graduates) to write a statement condemning this change to be published on the Oxford SU website, and to lobby the Government to reverse these changes, removing the £5.48 charge and increasing the number of languages available (including by writing to the Home Secretary to this effect).
  2. To mandate the Oxford SU officers, and in particular the Vice-President (Graduates), to lobby the University to cover the costs associated with applying for a visa as part of the University’s funding and scholarship schemes, and in particular any funding that is means-tested.
 
 

University Committees

Council
Education Committee (EdC)
Quality Assurance Working Group (QAWG)
Curators of the University Libraries
Joint Subcommittee of the Education Committee with Student Members
Student Wellbeing Subcommittee
Research and Innovation Committee
Graduate Admissions Committee
Graduate Student Administration & Procedures Group
Quality Assurance Subcommittee
Research Degrees Panel
Taught Degrees Panel
Graduate Committee


Video Reports

 

 

 

 

 

Farheen Ahmed | VP WELFARE AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES

| | |

 

Projects

Lobbying to develop welfare mapping projects across the colleges and university, with gaps being identified and addressed

5% Complete

Working with stakeholders (e.g. through reps, in college governing bodies) and interested researchers to continue to push the concept of mapping the available resources, so incoming and existing students are able to identify which services they can utilize.


Equality and Diversity Community(joint with VP women)

20% Complete

Hosting a conference-style event to enable individuals to share good practice, with regards to equality, diversity and liberation issues at the university and beyond. It will also enable the development of a network of representatives across the collegiate university, to work more collaboratively on events, activities and initiatives. At present, common room officers in liberation, equality and/or diversity roles are not a cohesive or supported network of students. Ed-Com will provide an opportunity for relevant common room officers to meet, train and support one another to foster a collaborative network of officers working toward equality in order that their future projects have greater impact in the collegiate University.


Lobbying to diversify assessment processes (joint with the President & VP Access and Academic Affairs)

0% Complete

This forms part of a longer project and conversation; it’s likely to not be completed this year. However, we will be working in various capacities to continue pushing this suggestion.


Addressing the race attainment gap (joint with VP Access and Academic Affairs)

5% Complete

Working with newly set-up university committees and relevant campaign (both locally and nationally) to develop strategies to better support students during their time as a student.


Enhancing study skills support for students (joint with VP Access and Academic Affairs)

0% Complete

Working with various departments and individuals to find out what is necessary to ensure students feel able to contribute and participate fully. This may include working to further develop the MCR/JCR mentoring programmes. This is likely to not be completed in the year.


Feminism in Theory and in Action Conference

10% Complete

Hosting a conference concerning the broad scope of feminist thought and particularly, how to put these theories into action concerning a number of different issues (e.g. tackling homelessness, developing anti-racist activism). This will include collaboration with CUSU, the Oxford SU campaigns and various existing societies.


Developing training packages for Welfare Officers further

20% Complete

Developing the current handbooks to be short introductions to the role, and continuing to host ‘Welfare Community’ events, to share good practice between colleges. I will also be developing the previous year’s training for Welfare reps, to include more on the history of welfare-related activism and how this fits into current conversations.


Improving our liaisons with Oxford SU's campaigns and work with other student collectives/societies in our community

5% Complete

Working with the campaigns I sponsor and student collectives/societies on developing strategies and working closely with our SU, in the future. This would particularly be to ensure that their interests are well-represented at all levels of the university.


Lobbying to further diversify provisions from the Counselling Service

0% Complete

Working with the Counselling Services to diversify the Peer Supporter Network further, and continue funding for the central service. In addition, this will include working to improve the provision of different mediums of counselling.


Continuing with 'Freshers' Community', to discuss accessibility during Freshers' Week

5% Complete

Continuing the work last year on trying to improve accessibility of Freshers’ Fair events, and ensure that Freshers’ reps are better equipped to host a number of different styles of events for Freshers week. This should also provide inspiration for other committee reps to follow suit.


Lobbying strongly with relevant national campaigns and opposing policies with discriminatory outcomes

10% Complete

Various initiatives exist in the national sphere which can improve outcomes for students. I hope to work more closely with them in my role, whether that be through providing hosting in Oxford or by supporting lobbying efforts more.


Improving accessibility to sport and physical exercise

5% Complete

In a broader approach to the Women in Sport initiative, I hope to work with the President to consider recommendations to improve access to physical exercise. In addition, the SU hopes to host a local disabled sports organization.


Continuing sexual health screening events

10% Complete

These will hopefully continue in the next year, in collaboration with the NHS services.

Lobbying to develop welfare mapping projects across the colleges and university, with gaps being identified and addressed

60% Complete

Working with stakeholders (e.g. through reps, in college governing bodies) and interested researchers to continue to push the concept of mapping the available resources, so incoming and existing students are able to identify which services they can utilize.
I have collated information from the Welfare Forum and existing documentation on welfare provisions on campus.


Equality and Diversity Community (joint with VP Women)

50% Complete

At present, common room officers in liberation, equality and/or diversity roles are not a cohesive or supported network of students. EdCom will provide an opportunity for relevant common room officers to meet, train and support one another to foster a collaborative network of officers working toward equality in order that their future projects have greater impact in the collegiate University.
We held our first Edcom in Michaelmas Term, with an attendance of around 25 reps, and plan to run two further sessions in Hilary Term.


Equality and Diversity Community for Graduates(joint with VP Graduates)

30% Complete

At present, common room officers in liberation, equality and/or diversity roles are not a cohesive or supported network of students. This network will provide an opportunity for relevant common room officers to meet, collaborate and support one another to ensure their projects have a sustained impact in the collegiate University.
We held the inaugural ApplyED Conference (Bringing Equality and Diversity into Everyday Oxford) with extensive support from Lincoln College. We hope to arrange a further session in Hilary Term, with a focussed agenda and discussion. A student will also be nominated from this group to attend the Equality and Diversity Forum of the Conference of Colleges, after the latter was involved in the Conference. This will hopefully ensure that students are able to bring their ideas directly to the university administration.


Lobbying to diversify assessment processes (joint with the President & VP Access and Academic Affairs)

0% Complete

This forms part of a longer project and conversation; it’s likely to not be completed this year. However, we will be working in various capacities to continue pushing this suggestion.


Addressing the race attainment gap (joint with VP Access and Academic Affairs)

10% Complete

Working with newly set-up university committees and relevant campaign (both locally and nationally) to develop strategies to better support students during their time as a student.
I have been working closely with Brookes SU and the Equality and Diversity Unit at Oxford University. Due to the nature of this project it is long term and will continue past my time in office.


Enhancing study skills support for students (joint with VP Access and Academic Affairs)

0% Complete

Working with various departments and individuals to find out what is necessary to ensure students feel able to contribute and participate fully. This may include working to further develop the MCR/JCR mentoring programmes. This is likely to not be completed in the year.
This project is building upon some of the work already being done around inclusive teaching practices. Due to the nature of this project it is long term and will continue past my time in office.


Feminism in Theory and in Action Conference

40% Complete

Hosting a conference concerning the broad scope of feminist thought and particularly, how to put these theories into action concerning a number of different issues (e.g. tackling homelessness, developing anti-racist activism). This will include collaboration with CUSU, the Oxford SU campaigns and various existing societies.
This will be happening in 6th Week Hilary.


Developing training packages for Welfare Officers further

50% Complete

Developing the current handbooks to be short introductions to the role, and continuing to host ‘Welfare Community’ events, to share good practice between colleges. I will also be developing the previous year’s training for Welfare reps, to include more on the history of welfare-related activism and how this fits into current conversations.
I have developed information packs and plan to deliver briefings during Hilary Term. I will also be hosting focus groups to find out what more the SU can offer.


Improving our liaisons with Oxford SU's campaigns and work with other student collectives/societies in our community

10% Complete

Working with the campaigns I sponsor and student collectives/societies on developing strategies and working closely with our SU, in the future. This would particularly be to ensure that their interests are well-represented at all levels of the university.
More student collectives and societies are utilising the SU social space and will hopefully feature in next year's Freshers' Fair and Online Directory.


Lobbying to further diversify provisions from the Counselling Service

10% Complete

Working with the Counselling Services to diversify the Peer Supporter Network further, and continue funding for the central service. In addition, this will include working to improve the provision of different mediums of counselling.
I have been working with the Counselling Service on their training and means of collecting feedback from Welfare Reps. Due to the nature of this project it is long term and will continue past my time in office.


Continuing with 'Freshers' Community', to discuss accessibility during Freshers' Week

5% Complete

Continuing the work last year on trying to improve accessibility of Freshers’ Fair events, and ensure that Freshers’ reps are better equipped to host a number of different styles of events for Freshers week. This should also provide inspiration for other committee reps to follow suit.
Will update for Trinity Term.


Lobbying strongly with relevant national campaigns and opposing policies with discriminatory outcomes

15% Complete

Various initiatives exist in the national sphere which can improve outcomes for students. I hope to work more closely with them in my role, whether that be through providing hosting in Oxford or by supporting lobbying efforts more.
I have been working with the students not suspects campaign and will be supporting strategy development for this with other Oxford students. I have collaborated with other SUs on voicing our opposition to Prevent in particular, for example through the JCHR (Joint Committee on Human Rights) submissions.I was also a speaker in a few panel discussion at various NUS conferences.


Improving accessibility to sport and physical exercise

5% Complete

In a broader approach to the Women in Sport initiative, I hope to work with the President to consider recommendations to improve access to physical exercise. In addition, the SU hopes to host a local disabled sports organization.
Will pick this up later in Hilary term.


Continuing sexual health screening events

25% Complete

These will hopefully continue in the next year, in collaboration with the NHS services.
The first one has been hosted alongside the NHS Services and Sexpression.

Opposition to Prevent

I will be working with the NUS Students Not Suspects campaign further, to develop their information packs, as well as working with our student-led campaigns on information sessions (including at Winter Training Conference). I will be working with allies across the University to ensure that students and staff are not negatively impacted by this duty.


Feminism in Theory and in Action Conference

Hosting a conference concerning the broad scope of feminist thought and particularly, how to put these theories into action concerning a number of different issues (e.g. tackling homelessness, developing anti-racist activism). This will include collaboration with CUSU, the Oxford SU campaigns and various existing societies.
This will be happening in 6th Week Hilary.


Year Abroad Project

Working with the VP Access and Academic Affairs, we hope to host an alternative information session with students who have undertaken study abroad. We are also collecting testimonials from students through a survey, that will be circulated through various networks. In addition, we hope to lobby for the university to improve their support and information retained on students who undertake such study, by working with Student Information and the Health and Safety Office.

 

Student Council Mandates

To ask the University Counselling Service to make Peer Support Training more flexible

Student Council Resolves:

  1. To mandate the VP for Welfare and Equal Opportunities to lobby the University Counselling Service to make its Peer Support Training much more flexible
 
 

University Committees

Equality and Diversity Panel
Joint Fees & Student Support Advisory Group
Student Wellbeing Subcommittee
Joint Student Number Planning Sub-Committee
Race Equality Working Group
Security Subcommittee
Prevent Steering Group
Intellectual Property Advisory Group (IPAG)
Consultative Committee for Health and Safety
Welfare Forum (including BME Welfare sub-group and Disability sub-group)


Video Reports

 

 

 

 

 

Katy Haigh | VP WOMEN

| | |

 

Projects

Women in Sport (joint with the President)

10% Complete

Oxford SU’s women in sport project aims to tackle sexism and inequality in sports clubs and societies, and encourage more women in engage in sport opportunities whilst at the University of Oxford.


Equality and Diversity Community (joint with VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

20% Complete

At present, common room officers in liberation, equality and/or diversity roles are not a cohesive or supported network of students. Eq-Com will provide an opportunity for relevant common room officers to meet, train and support one another to foster a collaborative network of officers working toward equality in order that their future projects have greater impact in the collegiate University.

Consent Workshops 2017

90% Complete

The 2017 Consent Workshop Programme will deliver sessions in every JCR and over half of MCRs during Freshers Week. These sessions will be peer led, dynamic, discussion-based and open, and will leave participants with a good understanding of consent, a sense of community responsibility to discourage sexual violence, and a good understanding of where in the University or their college they can seek support for issues related to sexual and/or gender-based violence.


Women’s Officer Training

30% Complete

Women’s officer training will equip relevant common room reps and officers to support those they represent in a confident and compassionate manner whilst also balancing their own wellbeing. Training will also contribute to fostering a collaborative network of officers working toward gender equality in order that their future projects have greater impact in the collegiate University.


Trans Rights are Human Rights

10% Complete

This project aims to continue to address unequal provisions for trans student at Oxford University by increasing University provisions to support trans students during their time at the University of Oxford. The project will collaborate with Oxford SU’s LGBTQ Campaign to create and distribute a Trans Sensitivity guide for the collegiate university staff, and to complete and publish the VP Women 2016-17’s Trans survival guide online in a way that is freely accessible to both current and prospective students.


Supporting Survivors

0% Complete

The core purpose of this project is to ensure continued commitment from the collegiate University to improving the assistance and services available for survivors of sexual violence. This project will work closely with Oxfordshire emergency and charitable services to codify a charter in which the responsibilities of colleges to survivors are clear and recognisable. Practical advice and recommended procedures for first response staff in colleges will be created and distributed in the form of a poster/leaflet. A survey will be created to determine intersections between survivors of sexual harassment and/or violence and persons with protected characteristics with a view to giving a voice to all survivors regardless of gender, race, sexuality or ability, and providing better suited support for such groups in future.


The Period Project

20% Complete

Period poverty is a real issue in the UK, with low-income families across England struggling to afford sanitary protection , yet sanitary products in the UK continue to be taxed as non-essential, luxury items at 5%. The Oxford SU period project intends to provide the means to : neutralise the high cost of sanitary products in the UK by supplying products at a tax-free rate to colleges provide resources to empower relevant officers to lobby their respective colleges/departments to fund free sanitary product schemes contest the high price of sanitary products in the UK and the ‘luxury tax’ work to destigmatise menstruation reduce negative impact on the environment by stocking eco-friendly products


Supporting parents and carers

20% Complete

This Michaelmas I will provide relaxed and accessible social events in Oxford SU for parents and carers. Parent and carer socials will provide a space for cohesive communities and support networks to develop, as well as creating focus groups from which informal data capture can take place in order to discover the best ways in which the student union can support parents and carers in the long term.

Women in Sport (joint with the President)

50% Complete

Oxford SU’s women in sport project aims to tackle sexism and inequality in sports clubs and societies, and encourage more women in engage in sport opportunities whilst at the University of Oxford.
One of the main milestones was to do 'Oxbridge Girls Can'; a week of free activities for women in Oxford related to sport which we achieved in Michaelmas Term.


Equality and Diversity Community (joint with VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities)

50% Complete

At present, common room officers in liberation, equality and/or diversity roles are not a cohesive or supported network of students. EdCom will provide an opportunity for relevant common room officers to meet, train and support one another to foster a collaborative network of officers working toward equality in order that their future projects have greater impact in the collegiate University.
We held our first Edcom in Michaelmas Term, with an attendance of around 25 reps, and plan to run two further sessions in Hilary Term.


Consent Workshops 2017

100% Complete

The 2017 Consent Workshop Programme will deliver sessions in every JCR and over half of MCRs during Freshers Week. These sessions will be peer led, dynamic, discussion-based and open, and will leave participants with a good understanding of consent, a sense of community responsibility to discourage sexual violence, and a good understanding of where in the University or their college they can seek support for issues related to sexual and/or gender-based violence.
Feedback has now been received and will inform next year's workshops and should make them even better!


Women’s Officer Training

60% Complete

Women’s officer training will equip relevant common room reps and officers to support those they represent in a confident and compassionate manner whilst also balancing their own wellbeing. Training will also contribute to fostering a collaborative network of officers working toward gender equality in order that their future projects have greater impact in the collegiate University.
A women's Officer guide is now available by emailing me vpwomen@oxfordsu.ox.ac.uk.


Trans Rights are Human Rights

40% Complete

This project aims to continue to address unequal provisions for trans student at Oxford University by increasing University provisions to support trans students during their time at the University of Oxford. The project will collaborate with Oxford SU’s LGBTQ Campaign to create and distribute a Trans Sensitivity guide for the collegiate university staff, and to complete and publish the VP Women 2016-17’s Trans survival guide online in a way that is freely accessible to both current and prospective students.
University is further along with it's review and update of their Trans Policy.


Supporting Survivors

60% Complete

The core purpose of this project is to ensure continued commitment from the collegiate University to improving the assistance and services available for survivors of sexual violence. This project will work closely with Oxfordshire emergency and charitable services to codify a charter in which the responsibilities of colleges to survivors are clear and recognisable. Practical advice and recommended procedures for first response staff in colleges will be created and distributed in the form of a poster/leaflet. A survey will be created to determine intersections between survivors of sexual harassment and/or violence and persons with protected characteristics with a view to giving a voice to all survivors regardless of gender, race, sexuality or ability, and providing better suited support for such groups in future.
In Michaelmas Term I held a sexual violence forum for members of the University and wider community to discuss tackling sexual violence in Oxfordshire. I plan to hold another forum in Hilary Term.


The Period Project

70% Complete

Period poverty is a real issue in the UK, with low-income families across England struggling to afford sanitary protection , yet sanitary products in the UK continue to be taxed as non-essential, luxury items at 5%. The Oxford SU period project intends to provide the means to : neutralise the high cost of sanitary products in the UK by supplying products at a tax-free rate to colleges provide resources to empower relevant officers to lobby their respective colleges/departments to fund free sanitary product schemes contest the high price of sanitary products in the UK and the ‘luxury tax’ work to destigmatise menstruation reduce negative impact on the environment by stocking eco-friendly products.
There is now a guide for students wishing to lobby their colleges for funding for free sanitary products and Oxford SU is currently investigating whether we can stock sanitary products in our building for students to buy.


Supporting parents and carers

20% Complete

This Michaelmas I will provide relaxed and accessible social events in Oxford SU for parents and carers. Parent and carer socials will provide a space for cohesive communities and support networks to develop, as well as creating focus groups from which informal data capture can take place in order to discover the best ways in which the student union can support parents and carers in the long term.
This is a hard area to know what is the right thing to do so this term I spoke to parents and carers to inform the next steps for supporting them and this will be a priority for Hilary Term

Parents and Carers

This is my main priority for Hilary Term. I intend to support Student parents and carers via various objectives: I will provide relaxed and accessible social events in Oxford SU for parents and carers. Parent and carer socials will provide a space for cohesive communities and support networks to develop, as well as creating focus groups from which informal data capture can take place in order to discover the best ways in which the student union can support parents and carers in the long term. I will see the new parent handbook completed and available on our website and I will work towards a baby friendly SU building. I welcome any comments from parents and carers on how we can best support you.


Project Safer

Project safer aims to support and enhance the lifes of Oxford Students by reducing risk of illness and death to student members who use recreational drugs; by informing students about the risks of drugs and how to manage them; by signposting students to substance abuse services. By the end of Hilary I will have produced informative leaflets on drug harm reduction and developed a training workshop to advise students on managing the risks of drug use.


Abortion Rights

Oxford SU is a pro-choice organisation which should affirm the rights of all students to choose what happens in their lives and what happens with thier bodies. To express Oxford SU's committment to being pro-choice I will create a training package of staff and students which will equip them to compassionately support a student through the abortion process. I will also work to enagage with national pro-choice campaigns such as BPAS's 'Back Off' campaign.

 

Student Council Mandates


University Committees

Equality and Diversity Panel
Student Attainment Gap Working Group
Student Wellbeing Subcommittee
Gender Equality Advisory Group
LGBT Advisory Group
Innovation IT Board
Childcare Steering Group


Video Reports