Sustainability Policy for Freshers’ Fair
At Oxford Freshers’ Fair we are committed to promoting sustainability and environmental responsibility among our stallholders and upholding high ethical standards and promoting a positive and inclusive environment for all attendees. We believe that every University or college society, campaign, organisation and business can play a crucial role in creating a more sustainable future.
Oxford SU recently received Excellent Standard in the Green Impact Student Union’s Awards. We want to continue the fantastic work that has happened over the past year and grow our sustainability commitments across our projects and events.
All participating societies, organisations and businesses must adhere to the following environmental sustainability policy:
Waste reduction and recycling:
- Minimise single-use plastics and paper flyers: stallholders are encouraged to use reusable and biodegradable materials for packaging, serving and promotion products. Avoid single-use plastic items or items that may be discarded once the Fair has finished. Avoid excessive paper usage.
We encourage no single-use plastics and for paper flyers to be replaced by digital materials (e.g., QR codes, brochures).
In addition, multiple paper flyers should be replaced by one larger flyer with key information and links to further information via a QR code or website link.
Signups should be taken via a laptop, tablet or other electronic means rather than on paper sheets.
- Responsible disposal: stallholders are responsible for ensuring that any waste generated at their stalls is disposed of properly, recycled where relevant, separate compostables, recyclables and general waste, and no items are left behind.
We expect all stalls to leave no waste behind at the end of the fair, in addition to materials being disposed of either by recycling or compostable means or, where this is not possible, to be responsibly disposed of.
Stallholders are responsible for cleaning up their designated areas after the event and leaving the space in the same condition as they found it.
- Energy and water conservation: minimise energy and water consumption where possible.
Stallholders to bring reusable water bottles and utilise water re-fill points at the venue.
- Local and fair-trade products: prioritise sourcing products locally and ethically, supporting fair trade practices whenever possible.
Whenever possible source products and materials locally to support the Oxford community and reduce carbon emissions associated with long-distance material delivery.
- Environmentally friendly merchandise: offer sustainable merchandise and products with minimal environmental impact, such as products made from recycled materials o eco-friendly alternatives.
Avoid giving away promotional items that are likely to become single-use waste. Instead consider offering sustainable alternatives like reusable water bottles or tote bags.
Consider displaying information about your sustainability efforts at your stall to raise awareness among visitors
Transportation and emissions:
- Green transportation: we encourage using sustainable modes of transportation when coming to the fair.
We encourage the use of public transport, cycling or walking to the event whenever feasible.
If driving is necessary, consider carpooling
By adhering to this sustainability policy, Oxford SU Freshers’ Fair stallholders play a crucial role in advancing environmental stewardship and setting an example of sustainable practices for the student community.
We thank you for your commitment to creating a greener and more sustainable future. Together we can make a significant positive impact on our environment, Oxford’s sustainability and continue to grow our SU’s sustainability commitments.